It’s the holiday season again! (I swear this year has flown by sooooo fast!) No matter how stressful this time of year can be, I always get happy little feelings in my heart when I see Christmas lights, hear Christmas music, or eat holiday treats.
There are certain things that I HAVE to do every year around this time, and the list keeps growing every year. And I don’t mean things like shopping or sending out cards (which, I will admit I almost never get around to doing….the card part, that is). Here are the things on my holiday to do list in no particular order:
1. Watch Miracle on 34th Street. I adore Natalie Wood with every fiber of my being and Edmund Gwenn is the best damn Santa ever captured on film (sorry Tim Allen).
2. Read the Harry Potter books. This tradition dates back to the 2001 holiday season. I had just read the books (only the first 4 were out) back in October when I was in London, and I came home demanding that my sister read them too. We had a contest over break to see who could read them the fastest (which wasn’t really fair because I had already read them recently, so I could go much faster). My sister has a head start this year and is already on the 2nd book. I need to get started!
3. Listen to the Mariah Carey and *NSYNC holiday CDs. I am not embarrassed to admit that these are the two best Christmas CDs ever.
4. Watch Love Actually. I actually just watched this last night and will probably have to watch it again before Christmas. This movie………aaahhhh…….this movie is so dear to my heart. Every time I watch it, I cry in a different place. Last night it was when Carl said Merry Christmas to Sarah, during the whole school concert, and all of Jamie and Aurelia’s stuff at the end.
5. Eat Butterfinger bells. I don’t like regular Butterfingers because all the orange middle stuff gets stuck in my teeth, (ick) but the bells have the perfect consistency of chocolate and Butterfinger-y parts.
6. Read Let it Snow. This is a relatively recent addition to the list, but I have no doubts I will do it every year. I am holding out as long as I can….but I am pretty sure I will read it either tomorrow or Tuesday.
So, what are the things that you have to do every December??