Everybody has a list in their head of their favorite movies. If someone were to ask me I would probably say The Lord of the Rings movies, the Harry Potter movies, Moulin Rouge, The Little Mermaid, Wall-E, My Man Godfrey, and A Little Princess. But really, these are movies that I don’t watch all that often. The Lord of the Rings movies are just too long and there are not enough tissues in the world for me to watch Wall-E on a regular basis.
But there are certain movies that I never seem to remember when thinking about my favorites, but they are ones I LOVE and watch all the time. So for these blog posts I am going to talk about some of my secret favorite movies. I will start off with one that I watch when I am in a weird mood and don’t know what I am in the mood for. This movie is perfect because it literally has a little bit of everything.
Stardust is a totally awesome movie!! I don’t think anybody ever saw it in the theater (including me) but my parents did and they made me sit down and watch it and I am SO glad they did. Now as a little side note, I’ve read the Stardust graphic novel and was not a fan. I did not enjoy the fact that the two characters that were supposed to be falling in love barely communicated and then were like, “oh, it’s the end? maybe we should make out?” That is only okay in Last of the Mohicans.
But I adore the movie!!!! It is pretty complicated to describe, but I will try. It has a very similar feel to The Princess Bride. Tristan is a shopboy (oh, sorry, he is a boy who just happens to work in a shop) who is in love with Victoria. He tries to win her love by promising to bring her a star that has fallen to the earth. In order to get the star, Tristan must cross the Wall which is the boundary between regular old England and the magical world. When Tristan finds the star he realizes that it is actually the beautiful Yvaine. He decides to take her back to Victoria anyway, and along the way they encounter evil witches, pirates, and dead princes.
It is actually a pretty complicated movie with a lot of different things going on, so you have to pay attention while you are watching, but it is so good that why would you not be paying attention??!! Here are my favorite things about this movie.
1. Claire Danes was actually likable. Ever since the “incident” a while back I can’t help but think of her as the wench who stole a pregnant woman’s boyfriend…..but I think she is adorable in this movie and I totally forget that I don’t like her as a person.
2. It has all the things I love in a movie: romance, comedy, magical stuff, a hint of adventure, and a happy ending.
3. It has Prince Caspian in it!!!! (Otherwise known as Ben Barnes)
4. It also has some of my favorite British actors like Mark Heap, Rupert Everett, and David Walliams. Also some random other celebrities like Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Ricky Gervais.
5. It has a great main character makeover! I love me a good makeover, and this one is tricky because it is a boy. Boy makeovers are hard to pull off, but Tristan truly goes from a dorky guy that you probably wouldn’t look twice at to a “Whoa, who is that gorgeous hunk of man???”
6. I love the fact that Tristan gets all confident and awesome and has no problem facing down stuffy old Humphrey (Victoria’s other suitor) but that his hand still shakes when he is going off to fight the epic battle with the evil witch. He is a rock star sword fighter, but still scared when the situation calls for it.
7. The movie is awesome visually…..great costumes and a very gorgeous British countryside.
8. The big bad guy (well one of them) Prince Septimus is really hot in a Snape-y kind of way.
9. Also, the blooper reel is very very funny.
Here’s the trailer, which does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the movie:
I would definitely recommend this movie for anyone who likes fantasy or a good love story. I will probably have to buy a new copy pretty soon because mine is getting all worn out. So that is just one of the many REAL favorite movies that I will be sharing in the future. What are some of your REAL favorites?