I thought now would be a nice and timely opportunity to post this next entry considering all of the hullabaloo surrounding the coming “Breaking Dawn” release:
Jacob Black from the Twilight series
Now I know that 95% of Twilight fans are firmly planted on the Team Edward side of the forest. I know that most fans even go far enough to compliment their love for Edward with an absolute loathing of Jacob. I know this because many of my friends and even my sister adhere to that way of thinking. I completely understand why everyone goes gaga over Edward, but I guess I just don’t get the hatred of Jacob. I am not trying to convince anyone to switch teams, because I would fail before I even started, I just want to explain some of the reasons why I would choose to date Jacob over Edward.
1. I would feel so much more comfortable around Jacob. I get really intimidated around good looking guys and Edward’s picture should be in the dictionary next to good looking. Bella always goes on and on about how she feels so uncomfortable around him and all of his perfection. Jacob is not perfect and that is what makes him awesome. He might not be human, but he makes mistakes just like I do and I know he could laugh right along with me when I get food all over myself or wake up with a huge pimple. If any of that stuff happened around Edward, I would just be mortified.
2. If I am going to snuggle up to something, I would rather it be warm and furry than cold and granite-like. Enough said.
3. Jacob would be fun to hang around with. Now I am not saying that Edward doesn’t do fun stuff, but Jacob is just as fun. We could go on lots of adventures together and he could help me conquer my fear of water, heights, and motorcycles. He could also fix my car when it breaks down.
4. I would feel much safer among the werewolves than the vampires. Apparently hanging out with vampires is not a very safe thing to do. Bella has already had so many vampires try to kill her or plan to kill her that if I were her, I would run right back to the werewolves. They seem to keep to themselves more and not get involved in all this international intrigue stuff. And as for the whole, “what if he gets all mad and rips half your face off?” Well, I would say you aren’t risking much more than if you were dating a vampire.
5. He isn’t controlling and I wouldn’t have to change for him. Two very big problems I have with the Twilight series are Edward’s control issues and the fact that Bella will eventually have to change who she is just to be with him. These are not good things in any relationship, no matter what reasons and excuses lay behind them. In Eclipse Edward tries to control who Bella sees and where she goes. Even though it is for “her own safety” it still really rubs me the wrong way every time I think about it. If my real boyfriend did that, I would kick him to the curb so fast…
6. Not much competition. Eventually, when literary characters come to life and join us in the real world, I will not have to fight the huge screaming mob of 10-70 year old women fighting to be with Edward, I will casually join the queue next to Jacob and only have to worry about sharing him with a few other people.
Now I am not saying that Bella and Jacob should end up together (I would actually never say that because I think Bella is incredibly annoying and whiny and Edward and Jacob both deserve better) because we all know she is destined to be with Edward. I just wanted to promote Team Jacob one last time before I settle down with “Breaking Dawn.”
I’ll leave you with a picture of my Jacob, Steven Straight: