Ever heard of this movie? Me neither! until somehow I did and since I LOVE Emma Roberts (how adorable was she in Nancy Drew when she was hostess of that retro party? wait, just had a thought… am going to check IMDB, I’ll be right back….
YES I WAS RIGHT! the woman who played the murdered movie star in Nancy Drew is currently the mom of Chuck Bass (swoon) on Gossip Girl!!! Her name is Laura Harring. I think I will have to do a post on GG Season Three guest stars…
Anyways, so I put Wild Child on hold at the library and it took me THREE MONTHS to get it. Worth the wait? yeahhhh. I guess. I HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER I LIKED THIS MOVIE OR NOT WHICH IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! I mean it was pretty terrible, but also kinda awesome, but really pretty annoying…sort of how I felt about Leap Year, although sorry Jen, I would probably say that Wild Child was better…
Basically, Emma Roberts plays Poppy–a girl from Malibu who is sent to an English boarding school by her father in order to straighten up. You know, the whole crazy-american-girl-learns-to-be-a-woman-while-teaching-the-English-how-to-loosen-up plot? Totally What a Girl Wants, right?….except rated PG-13 with swearing, drinking, and sexual situations… WHaaa?! Who were they aiming this movie at? because theme-wise it is totally tween and those of us who like tween things, content-wise it is totally high school—> it felt like if the producers were making a movie out of iCarly but ended up with Mean Girls??? BIZARRE.
Here are scattered thoughts on Wild Child that I don’t feel like putting into cohesive paragraphs:
1. This was Natasha Richardson’s last movie. Sad.
2. First thing that made me happy about this movie? SLAGGY LINDSAY (from Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging) IS IN IT! but she is not slaggy AT ALL–she is one of the kick-ass adorable british awesome friends!
3. I spent the whole movie trying to figure out where I knew Drippy from… OMFG she was the girl who ruined James McAvoy’s life after he had that wonderful library love-making scene in Atonement NOoooooooooooooooooo. But she is so cute in this movie as she is also one of the kick-ass adorable british awesome friends–oh I am having very complex feelings.
4. Very funny line: “Someone call Al Gore, the ice queen is melting”
5. LOVE Poppy’s dress at the dance:
6. Just as the movie gets to be cute and Poppy becomes likable and there is a fun dress-up scene, Poppy almost unknowingly causes Drippy to almost die in a fire???? um whoa, seriousness is not welcome.
7. So british boy is pretty dang charming, but I don’t know…I totally didn’t fall for him? Maybe I just need more time.. or maybe he just needs to be Scottish…OR you know what it is?! I think he should have fallen for one of the cute English girls–like Slaggy Lindsay! why didn’t he fall for Slaggy Lindsay?! She was nice and intelligent and fun the whole time–not just in the end like Poppy was.
8. I really really really want the yellow yorkie sweater that mean Harriet makes Poppy wear in public in order to humiliate her. I wouldn’t be humiliated AT ALL BECAUSE I LOVE IT.
Overall–was it as good as Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging? Hahaha, silly question–OF COURSE NOT!
um, okay, enough said.